As you know that this is a huge why for me, as I’ve mentioned within my blog ‘What is my why? And why is ‘why? So Important? I was horrified to find out that my period was causing so much plastic waste. It wasn’t because I didn’t know the average period products have plastic in them. I just didn’t give it a thought. Like many women, I grew up just doing the same thing my mother and her mother did, without a thought about what waste it was creating or what toxins were being put into my body. So, when I started researching this at the start of my journey it was clear from the start, I needed an alternative.
Some of the things I found out were:
· 100 billion menstrual products are thrown away every year. Most of which contain plastic (this amount would circle our planet 250 times.)
· Every item takes 500 years to degrade because they are single use plastics and end up in landfill or our seas and oceans.
· The average woman uses 11,000 menstrual products during her lifetime which equals to 200,000 tonnes of waste PER YEAR.
· All menstrual products beyond the visible plastic wrapper, backing strips and applicator contain plastic but menstrual products can contain up to 90% plastic within their composition too.
· Most disposable pads and tampons contain bleaches, dyes and cotton that has been sprayed with pesticides.
· Also tampons absorbs all moisture from your vagina, even the useful moisture you need. This can cause irritation, infections and even lots of tiny cuts.
· In 2018, the great British beach clean survey found an average of 3 used sanitary products product items per 100m of UK beach surveyed.
So, I want to introduce the Mooncup to you. The Mooncup is a type of menstrual cup. A menstrual cup is a cup which is a small, foldable, reusable device made from silicone, rubber or plastic that collects, rather than absorbs, the menstrual blood when inserted into the vagina. Mooncup is the brand name of a menstrual cup which is the first medical grade silicone menstrual cup in the world. It is a soft silicone menstrual cup that you can reuse every time you get your period. It has been tried, tested and loved since 2002 by users around the world and this offers an end to the waste, discomfort and expense of disposable sanitary protection. It was designed by women as a convenient, safe and eco-friendly alternative to tampons and pads. The Mooncup was the first ever menstrual cup to be made from medical grade silicone; a hypoallergenic alternative to rubber which had previously been linked to latex allergies.
After a heavy topic I am going to leave you with a thought:
‘Every bit of plastic that you buy in your life, will still be sat in landfill when your great-great grandchildren are born’
That is a scary thought, but we can change this and together there is still hope for our planet.